If you have been following the hints that I have been dropping on Twitter - you may have noticed that I am about to go public with a new book.
Before I actually go live with the announcement - I would like to prepare you all for how this is going to work - because it could be slightly different from the conventional book launch you might be used to.
I have decided to use Leanpub.
Why did I choose to go with self publishing and not with a traditional publisher?
The main reason behind this is not money, of course royalties are a nice little surprise every now and again - but having co-authored more than one book - I can say with no doubt - we do not do it for the money - definitely not the money,
The main reason - is because of flexibility. I have the option to decide the content - and I am the sole owner of what I want to have in the book. I do not have an ‘overlord’ looking out over my shoulder saying that this is not good, not long enough - or the words are not clear. I decide what goes in, how it goes in and when.
This has it’s up-sides and of course its drawbacks - but that is a topic for a future post.
- I love the workflow, git commits, working with Markdown - simple smooth and it just works.
- I did not want to wait for the whole book to be complete - because I think that what I have now will be highly useful - and there is no reason to wait until the end for the information to get out there.
So how does this work?
- I am currently actively writing the book and if you so choose - you can purchase the book before it is finished.
- You choose the price that you are willing to pay (there is a minimum charge).
- All updates to the book are free.
- Currently (until the book is complete) - there will only be a digital version (perhaps a paperback in the future).
What is the book about?
Quite obviously - AWS.
A few more days.. I promise I will let you all know when it ready for initial launch.