From this this post on Technet - we can finally say that if you have a Windows 2000 Server in your enviroment - GET RID OF IT!!!!!! (or at least before July 13, 2010)
Another small thing to note - Service Pack 2 for Windows 2003 - was the last, there will be no no SP3.
Here is the short version.
Windows 2000 Server
Extended Support for Windows 2000 Server will end on July 13, 2010. At this time, Windows 2000 Server will no longer be publicly supported. You will be able to continue using “Self-Help Online Support”*
Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2
Also on July 13, 2010, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2 (at a supported service pack level) will move from the Mainstream Support phase to the Extended Support phase. During the Extended Support phase:
- Microsoft will continue to provide security updates and paid support (Example: Premier and Essential support, per-incident telephone/web support, etc.)
- Customers will continue to have access to all security updates and Self-Help Online Support options (Example: Knowledge Base articles, online product information etc.)
- Non-security hotfixes developed during the Extended Support phase will be provided ONLY to customers who enroll in Extended Hotfix Support (EHS).
Please note: If you’d like to enroll in EHS, customers must already have a Premier Support contract. In addition, customers must enroll in EHS within the first 90 days of the Extended Support phase. Program and per fix fees may also apply. Customers with Software Assurance can enroll in EHS at any time.
Service Pack 3 for Windows Server 2003
We have received inquiries from our customers and partners on whether or not there will be a need for a Service Pack 3 for Windows Server 2003. Microsoft will not have a SP3 release for Windows Server 2003.
- Self-Help Online Support* will be available for Windows 2000 Server after Extended Support before it ends on July 13, 2010.
- Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2 will begin an extended support phase on July 13, 2010
- There will be no Service Pack 3 for Windows Server 2003
Go forth and upgrade!! (or retire)